Sunday, January 24, 2016

Houston....we have a hiccup!!!

Saw my chemo oncologist and we are no longer stable in the lungs.  Some tumors in the right lung are growing larger and he has taken me off chemotherapy for the moment....as it is no longer working.

He is sending me to New Westminster to see another oncologist there, Dr. Carol Mariano.  Apparently there is a new drug on the market (nivolumab)  that has been approved for use in Canada....of course, our government is not paying for it.  The drug company is providing it for free in some cases....I may not qualify because of the brain cancer.  All they can do is say yes or no!

He is also forwarding for the targeted treatment (even though my cancer does no qualify me) and also to the P.O.G. program.  All...based on my brain cancer...it could disqualify me across the board.  The issue with the targeted and the genetic testing is my cancer tumors in the lungs are too small and they require five biopsies.

So...where does that leave me?  Waiting for the cancer to grow large enough for the biopsies.  Finishing my last radiation and LRHT tomorrow....waiting for the MRI on February 5th...see Dr. Mariano on the 15th.

As for the brain cancer....all I can do is hope that the radiation nuked them and there are no more tumors hiding so I can get the pin-point one shot radiation in Vancouver.

It was a rough week as my daughter Rhiann came to visit and go to all the appointments with me...rough time for her. She is strong...she has my genes.

I am swimming....keeping busy....crafting....living.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are an extremely strong lady Aunty all i can say i we love you and keep on Keepin on !
we are continually praying for you and you're constantly in our thoughts xoxo